Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


When we were children, we would always be sure to wear something green on St. Patrick's Day to avoid being pinched.  
Merciful teachers might help us make four leaf clovers out of green paper to pin on so that any unfortunate soul not wearing green could avoid being torchered by laughing friends as he undoubtedly had been upon arriving at the schoolyard to play four-square or basketball before class began.


This St. Patrick's Day, I wish someone would pinch everyone to wake them out of this stupor that has shut down the world for a year, but I guess that's not going to happen until dictators enact enough of their expensive five-year plans that would never have been abided without cover of a crisis.

In any case, I am happy to have memories of traveling to Ireland in 2019, plus a couple of earlier vacations that took us on a panoramic trip around the southern part of the Emerald Isle and in searh of Julie's family heritage in Northern Ireland, to sweeten my morning coffee.

Today, Julie and I will be enjoying corned beef and cabbage at my sister and brother-in-law's house.



Corned beef on rye with boiled cabbage and mashed potatoes was one of my favorite meals since those days when Mom always made sure I had on a shirt containing green on March 17.

That's really saying something, because when I was a young boy, the only other sandwiches I liked were hamburgers or peanut butter and jelly.

We're grateful to Darlene and Brooks for inviting us over for this treat.  


Quite frankly, we don't need to go to Ireland to find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Happiness can always be closer than you think, as long as you take the time to appreciate it.

The luck of the Irish?

I guess stating such sentiments these days will be derided as some kind of white privilege, even if I'm not actually Irish.

Admittedly, quite privileged we are, because we're Americans.

We'll be sure to wear green, just in case.

No comments: