Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Best of All Possible Worlds?

I grew up in a much different time.

A much slower paced time.

A time of more family connections.

Most of my contemporaries would say a much better time and, of course, the time with the very best music.



I personally have come to the conclusion that with progress, we always live in the best of all possible worlds, but we must seize the day for what it is, not for what it once was or theoretically might be.

When I grew up, a vacation was a cross-country drive to see relatives, and I must say I loved stopping to swim at Motel 6 pools and eventually getting together with my country cousins.

However, around the time the Beatles broke big on the scene, the world began what has seemed like a psychedelic trip of every changing possibilities in vibrant colors, including the opportunities to explore the world in ways I had never perceived as possible.

Suddenly, air travel was no longer for only the wealthy, and destination cruises soon followed.




Today, young people see what had been once-in-a-lifetime, if ever, experiences, as almost a right.

But of course, you are reading this --- if I have held your attention that long, which in the age of Twitter is assuming quite a bit --- on a smart phone or some other computer that I never could have imagined being available, much less affordable, when I was growing up.

These amazing new electronic toys manage to dominate our psyches so completely that many people don't even look up from their screen when they're walking along the beach or driving in a convertible. Ironically, they don't want to miss out.

Trust me, though; there's a much bigger world than your little screens can possibly encompass.



Consider this sage advice.

See the world.

It is an opportunity never available throughout history to the average person, and even the wealthiest royalty of the past never had anything close to the convenient access of the greatest places on earth.

Don't miss your life.

"Better service leads to better trips!"

No comments: