Thursday, January 7, 2010

Big Sky, Montana



I'm sure somewhere in the travel agent book of secrets, there must be a whole section devoted to disparaging visits to relative's homes. However, I can't deny having a wonderful time again this year visiting my sister, brother-in-law and nephew in Big Sky, Montana.

Granted, this isn't the usual convertible sofas and sleeping bags in the living room type of trip. When they bought their home on the ski hill, they decided it made more sense to buy an extra condo in the nearby village than spend much more for an extra bedroom or two on the mountain.

The three bedroom condo where Jay, Amy, Julie and I stayed again this year is beautifully decorated, spacious and comfortable. However, to be perfectly honest, we mostly just returned "home" to sleep.

Early in the morning we made the short drive to the ski hill where the Yellowstone Club provides a nice spread of granola, fruit, coffee and other breakfast treats. A short time later, we rode high-speed quad chairlifts (individually covered by bubble shields to keep skiers warm) up to the top of uncrowded ski runs. Then, for lunch and dinner, my sister prepared gourmet meals.

After dinner, we usually split between men watching football and women watching "Gossip Girls" videos. A good time was had by all.

I won't go into more detail this year, but suffice it to say that Big Sky, Montana, is one of my favorite places in the world. The views are incredible, and the people are friendly.

After you've skied in Big Sky, it is very difficult to come back to the crowds of Big Bear. I can't sell you the trip I take, but if you want to go skiing, I do have ski packages available. Or you can visit mountains from a cruise ship in Alaska!

No comments: