Friday, January 20, 2023

Ensenada, De Nada?


As with many cruises from Southern California, our final stop was in Ensenada.  It meets the requirement to call on a foreign port.  It's also a chance for one last hurrah before returning home.

Tours to the wineries or La Bufadora are good choices to get the most from your time, but most people wander off the ship and into downtown to eat and drink in cantinas or shop for bargains at the many open-front stores.

Julie and I strolled through the Malecón, a fishing boat harbor near the ship's pier, and then into downtown long enough to buy a small pair of scissors.


We saw many crew members ashore, this easily accessible, affordable port town might well be their favorite of the Hawaii cruise, as a ship's naturalist claimed a few years ago.

For us, the biggest appeal of Ensenada on this trip was the sunshine, and so we soon returned to the ship to enjoy the pool areas with free meals and beverages.

While the trend to add more "free" amenities like beverages and wifi on board cruise ships may create greater value for cruisers, small businesses in port cities like Ensenada lose revenue.

I well remember getting off cruise ships and immediately finding cafes with free wifi to catch up on my email, but that is no longer necessary.

Similarly, buying a cerveza inside Papa's & Beers has less appeal for me when I know I can have one for free by the pool on the ship, if I feel so inclined while I am reclined in a lounge chair soaking up the sun.

However, do as I say, not as I do.

On your vacation, don't let the included amenities stop you from getting the most out of each port, especially if it is your first or second time there.  Authentic Mexican cantinas can be fun, and many people rave about the fresh seafood in Ensenada.  You'll be back home fixing your usual meals in your familiar setting soon enough.


No comments: