Saturday, December 7, 2019

It's Not Unusual to Be Cruising Just to Be Cruising



It's not unusual for destination to be the focus when planning a vacation.

We have bucket lists of places we've always wanted to go or wish to return one day.

Making those meaningful treks can definitely bring joy to our hearts, but sometimes the mere hassle of getting back takes a bit of the bloom off the rose.

Looking back at the year thus far, Julie and I have traveled a lot.  So much so that after we'd flown to Bermuda to attend our son's beautiful wedding to the love of his life, I told my wife that I was ready to just settle in at home for a few months.

Julie, however, has never been one to rest on her travel laurels.


She started browsing through cruises for late next spring of 2020, and the next thing I knew we had somehow shifted to the end of this year, because she found a sensational deal.

That's the thing about shopping or anything else.

Once you're thinking about it, your mind goes into automatic "actualize-that-dream" mode.

As Jesus said, "Seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

Or, as my dad said frequently, "Be careful what you think about, because you'll probably get it."

This time, it wasn't a specific destination calling.  It was something you understand if you're a Cruiser with a capital C.  She wanted to return to that amazing on board experience.


The truth is that often the best part of the vacation doesn't come down to the ports but rather is the on board experience itself.

My first reaction to the suggestion of taking another trip before I'd digested the last was to recoil in horror at the thought of leaving my chair stuffed with pillows and wide-screen TV.  Okay, maybe not horror, but I was thinking I'd just as soon veg out.

Cruising Out of San Pedro, California
Julie subtly made her case about leaving dirty dishes behind on a cruise from so close to home that we could take a bus to catch it.

No airports, long drives or dirty dishes?

Why not?

The truth is that often the best part of the vacation doesn't come down to the ports but rather is the on board experience itself.  Being at sea on a luxurious ship is always special.

I want you to enjoy a remarkable experience on this beautiful planet at our unique time in history when such vacations are actually attainable by average people like you and me who are willing to defer a few minor habits in their work-a-day lives.  Maybe you personally don't need to scrimp to occasionally splurge with a dream vacation.  That's better still!


No comments: