Monday, September 30, 2019

Rehearsal Dinner


The wedding rehearsal at Tom Moore's turned out to be a light run through of little more than learning who we would follow strolling down the aisle, but there might have been more to it before we got there, as we were twenty minutes late by the time we walked up the long driveway from the bus stop.

Julie, Amy, Lukas and I missed the instructions and initial walk through, because after finishing our peanut butter and banana bread in Hamilton, our bus turned out to be an after-school route that made lots of stops along the way to drop students near their homes.

Gina, Laszlo and the lovely flower girl Emma had arrived on island and were at Tom Moore's along with most of the folks who went into Hamilton before we arrived.

When the rehearsal wrapped at 4:30, the group went to the adjacent jungle preserve for engagement photos, with the plan to eventually walk the mile or so to The Swizzle Inn for the rehearsal dinner, which wasn't scheduled to start until 7:00 PM.

Emma was wearing her white wedding sandals, which Gina worried might get dirty or give her blisters walking through a jungle, so she decided to take a taxi.

Julie opted to join her, and I went along with them, to be sure they were safe, though tourist saftey is not a big concern in Bermuda as a general rule.  The restaurant manager Bruno, who has worked there many years including when Sasha's family used to go there for dinner, called a taxi for us.

We waited inside the restaurant, and after a half hour or so we went outside, assuming the taxi would be there any minute.

Long story short, after over an hour waiting for the taxi, we walked to the street and flagged down a taxi, which took us the short distance from there.  The walkers beat us there by close to an hour, even having taken time for lots of photos in the nature preserve, and were all having drinks and appetizers in the downstairs pub.

The Swizzle Inn staff offered to get us get us into our private room upstairs a few minutes early, so we all relocated.

The menu had been of much debate in our house for months, with many in the party being vegan (including no dairy products), and some vegan with special requests for no onions or garlic, which does limit choices.

We finally ended up with Indian curry (vegetarian or chicken marsala), fish and chips, shepherd pie, Portobello salad, nachos (both regular and vegan) and Rum Swizzles.

Everybody seemed to enjoy their meals.


Etiquette suggests the father of the groom make the first toast after the rehearsal dinner.  I had written a short speech that included a quote I liked despite knowing the French last name of the author didn't exactly roll off my tongue.  I had been told to keep it short and not try to be funny, so I seriously considered just saying, "Thanks for coming.  Here's to Jay and Sasha."

Instead, I attemped my speech, rambling a bit but basically delivering the essence, though I moved the quote to the opening to get beyond that obstacle early, and of course as happens if you focus on something bad happening, I made mispronouncing the author's name a self-fulfilling prophesy.  Even as I said the quote I knew I had made it more of a paraphrase than the exact quote, but it was close enough unless someone there had it memorized.  Nonetheless, I pushed forward and made it through the speech basically, only having one point where I noticed someone fidgeting which is always the signal to "wrap this stem-winder up."

Here's what I intended to say:

While counting my blessings in my nightly prayer, I always thank God for our many blessings, including how well our children are doing. A couple of years ago, when I came to Jay, I went through his successful career in a field he loves, located a short commute from a comfortable home in a safe community, going to concerts almost nightly, skiing and traveling extensively but still saving money for his future....he seemed to have it all, except one thing. I began to pray that he find love in his life.

Not long after that, as these things seem to happen in my life and perhaps your own life following prayer, Sasha moved back from Chicago, and the next thing we knew, they were a couple. Sasha seemed to love everything Jay loves, including Lakers basketball, taco Tuesdays and vintage convertibles. Jay's tastes expanded to some of her passions like champagne and Formula One racing.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote, "Love does not exist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction."

Jay and Sasha, you've each found someone to share your love of travel, skiing, basketball, Formula One, exotic foods, music and most of all, family and friends, a select few of whom have gathered here today to celebrate your marital vows. Your future together appears to be unlimited, but take time each day to gaze into each other's eyes and remind yourselves how truly blessed you are.


After I finished, little Alexandra's "Uncle Kenny," who as a politician is undoubtedly far more comfortable in front of a crowd than I am, came up and delivered a speech punched with humor, basically saying Jay would have to answer to him if he ever treated Alexandra (Sasha) badly.  Then others made toasts.

I have to admit that my favorite meal on the trip was when Jay barbecued burgers on the bluff overlooking the beautiful harbor in St. George's.

For me, it's hard to beat a cheeseburger in paradise.




No comments: