Monday, February 27, 2012

Tracy Arm Fjord or Glacier Bay?



All of the cruise lines do a wonderful job describing unique features of their cruises, or more often positioning their cruises in a way that highlights features which are implied to be unique but may be found on other cruises.  A question that comes up frequently for Alaska cruises is, "Which glacier is best?"

Glacier Bay certainly has a great reputation.  It is listed as one of the top reasons for visiting Alaska in surveys, and so cruise lines that visit Glacier Bay, including Princess, trumpet its inclusion.  However, not all Alaska cruises visit Glacier Bay.  Does this mean they should be avoided?

I certainly understand the desire to see Glacier Bay.  The otherworldy calving of glaciers into pristine turquoise waters makes quite an impression, and since it is one of the most visited glaciers, it receives kudos from past visitors, who undoubtedly check its box as a reason for visiting Alaska.

That does not mean other glaciers won't be as impressive, and other glaciers will be visited because there are simply too many ships in Alaska during the summer to avoid congestion if all went to Glacier Bay.

For most of us, all glaciers are pretty awesome, but we'd have as much trouble differentiating which is best as we would choosing the best flavor of gelato if we tasted them all, as opposed to ordering strawberry every time, as some travelers do in Italy.

On some itineraries, including the Golden Princess itinerary we have been following, beautiful Tracy Arm replaces Glacier Bay.

Admittedly, Glacier Bay is bigger, with more glaciers, whereas Tracy Arm is more narrow, more of a fjord for much of it. 

I recently have been reading "Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain, wherein he talks about how Lake Como pales in comparison to Lake Tahoe, because of the fact that Tahoe is so much wider.  However, I assume many people who have visited Lake Como would say that it was better than Lake Tahoe for other reasons. 

While Glacier Bay is amazing, you may not get as close to the glaciers as to the cliffs of Tracy Arm, or at least that is my assumption based on descriptions I have heard.  If you are going in August, after melting for most of the summer, Tracy Arm should be a pretty good bet for a big ship to penetrate deep and reach the twin Sawyer Glaciers. 

I haven't been to either Galcier Bay or Tracy Arm, although I had to double check my notes to be sure.  My Celebrity cruise went to Hubbard Glacier, which the Royal Caribbean brands tout just as Princess and Holland America tout Glacier Bay.

Hubbard Bay is similar to Glacier Bay, however, and I have also been to Fjordland National Park, which would be most similar to Tracy Arm Fjord.  I was personally as impressed by the fjords as the glaciers, if not more so.  My good friends Mike and Linda Rood, upon returning from a cruise tour that went through College Fjord (once again, this is not Tracy Arm but another fjord) and Glacier Bay, came back most impressed with College Fjord.

I never want to dissuade anyone from doing exactly what they want, but I also see it as my job to offer as much information as necessary to make an informed choice.  I wouldn't choose one cruise over another based strictly on the glacier cruising unless you are a repeat Alaska visitor wanting to either see one you didn't see previously for comparison or definitely taste exactly that same great strawberry gelato...I mean see that same great glacier again.

Better service leads to better trips!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. Breathtaking. I. Want to cruise Alaska. Doing my homework. This really helped.