Monday, December 7, 2009

Age Has It's Privileges!


I don't know any adult who likes growing older. When someone asks me how old I am, inevitably I have to think about what year it is. I really don't think about my age too often, and when I do, I am flabbergasted to realize that I am now, having passed the milestone 55th birthday, considered a senior citizen. Yes, I guess the gray beard on the guy looking back from the mirror should be a clue, but looking anyplace else, everything looks the same as it did when I was 33.

I have learned to appreciate a few privileges of age. At McDonald's, I get a senior coffee at a reduced price. When I scale a rock-climbing wall or go boogie boarding, I get immediate respect from younger participants apparently amazed that I left my rocking chair. And with most cruise lines, I have another avenue for reduced prices.

For example, Carnival sends me a list of selected Senior Rates at least once a week. Among some of the interesting choices this week is the 12-Night Hawaii Cruise for $649 per person. Embarking on April 11, 2010, this cruise visits Kauai, both Hilo and Kona on the Big Island, two days in Maui and two days in Honolulu. It starts in Ensenada and ends in Honolulu, so you also get some great sea days to enjoy Carnival Spirit. Need an ocean view? O/V starts at $949 pp, or splurge a little with a balcony from $1219 per person.

Or on January 6, 2010, there's the 8-night Alternative Mexican Riviera roundtrip from San Diego starting at $429 per person. This is a wonderful change of pace for people who have been to the Mexican Riviera a few times before. It visits Acapulco, the most world-renowned port in the region. Manzanillo, which Baby Boomers will remember as the beach where 50-something Dudley Moore saw beautiful Bo Derek run in "10," is another terrific port, as is Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo. Plus, you get two days at sea on the way down and back. Ocean View rooms start at $469, and Balconies from just $559, if your US passport shows you were born at least 55 years before the embarkation date.

Do you think Carnival isn't your style? You may be surprised at how Carnival has upgraded their dining, service and ships over the years. However, there also are senior promos on other lines, like Royal Caribbean, upscale Celebrity and the small ships of Azamara, on selected sailings.

As Muriel Spark said, "Be on the alert to recognize your prime at whatever time of your life it may occur."

This is it! "Better service leads to better trips!"

No comments: