Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nancy, France: April, 1998


At one time, I had some notes written about this trip, and I believe I even wrote an essay about it, but over time, I seem to have lost all trace.

All I can do is look at the photos and try to figure out where we were and how we got there. Julie often has the answers when I'm unsure.

I can't remember where we spent our first night in France, but I know the next day we headed toward Germany. About mid-morning, we took a break in Nancy, France, which had beautiful gardens in full bloom on this spring day.

It's easy to imagine historical stories like "The Three Musketeers" unfolding here. The legendary but very real Joan of Arc was greeted by Charles VII at Palais Ducal in Nancy. Claiming divine guidance, Joan of Arc led the French to several victories in the Hundred Years War before being burned at the stake by the British in 1431 at the ripe old age of 19. That's not a typo. NINETEEN.

No comments: