Monday, March 23, 2009

Driving to Bavaria

Getting to Bavaria from Switzerland took us to the scenic lakeside town of Konstanz, where we drove onto a ferry aboard which we crossed the Bodensee to Meersburg.

The Bodensee, which is also known as Lake Constance, is the second largest of the Alpine Lakes. At 40 miles by 7 miles, it is large enough to be referred to as the "Swabian Ocean."
I remember being on the ferry, with the wind blowing through our hair, but I wouldn't have known exactly which ferry without Julie telling me. I don't know how she remembered.
Meersburg is supposed to be even more scenic than Konstanz, but I don't have any photos of it.

Julie and I have always enjoyed tooling about through the countryside and soaking in the scenery. Germany has lots of pastoral areas with panoramic views.


We did have a very nice hotel that night. Hotel Konig Ludwig is located in Schwangau at the foot of Bavaria. Traveling as a couple, it is possible to find some interesting farmhouse B & B's, but once there are two couples, small hotels are the best option. As always, when I say it was a nice hotel, it doesn't mean fancy or modern by US standards, but a bad hotel in Europe can be very bad, so we are always happy with nice for the price we are willing to pay.

No comments: