Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sweet Home Alabama: July, 1976

Very few places have been maligned to the extent of Alabama. I find myself sometimes avoiding the state's name just because I know someone will equate Alabama with racism. I have no doubt racism played a big part in Alabama's history, but times have changed. If you're a University of Alabama Crimson Tide fan or an Auburn Tigers follower, you don't care what color the star running back is; you just want your team to win the big annual football game.

I've spoken before about my mother being the sweetest person I ever knew, and how my grandmother held that title before her, but the whole family is really nice. Those are the people I equate with Alabama. When I pulled in on the bus during that bi-centennial summer, with my long hair and scruffy beard, holding my guitar case like some hippie from the 60s, I was welcomed with open arms by them all.

My mom was there on vacation, and my intention was to spend a day or two visiting everyone before heading down to Florida. I had thoughts of going to Jamaica, although I don't know that I even considered the fact that it was a foreign country and might require a passport or birth certificate. As it turned out, I stayed in Alabama a few days more than I intended, so that issue never came up.
By the way, none of the writers of the famous Lynyrd Skynrd anthem hailed from Alabama. Two were from Florida and one from California. Their time at the Muscle Shoals studio where they developed their sound also led to their affection for the state. Regarding the message to Neil Young in the song, co-writer Ronnie Van Zandt said, "We thought Neil was shooting all the ducks in order to kill one or two." For many people in my generation, however, Neil Young's "Southern Man" and "Alabama" made lasting impressions and prejudiced them against the state.

No comments: