Saturday, December 29, 2007

Royal Caribbean Solarium: December, 2007




Most of the time, I write about ports of call.

While on a cruise, however, we also find favorite destinations we visit repeatedly onboard the ship.

When on Royal Caribbean ships, I like to enjoy morning coffee in the beautiful solariums.

They're all uniquely decorated but include several standard features.

The central focus is the swimming pool filled by spouting water.




There is an adjacent hot tub.

Designation as adults only makes this area generally a quiet place to visit.

In the morning, it is even more so, and frequently I am the only one listening to the water cascade into the pool in this window lined room.

I settle down with my coffee, a good book and frequently a freshly baked bran muffin to start my day.

The glass roof can be opened to the elements, but most often this retractable ceiling is closed, keeping the space warm on sea days when the ship cutting through the sea air creates a cool breeze and cooler when it is an unusually hot day.

It's also a great place to hang out after a day in port.

I like to take a swim before dinner.

Well, actually, it's not so much of a swim as a series of dips.

I go between the cool pool, the overlap ledge of the pool that has a few inches of water, the hot tub and a lounge chair.

I chat with other guests about how the day ashore went.

Mid-day, this is a terrific place to hang out on sea days, and the pizza/snack bar on one side and bar on the other makes it an excellent spot to enjoy a light lunch at the tables and chairs.

No comments: