Saturday, May 19, 2007

San Diego: April, 2005


While San Diego may not sound exciting to people who have lived in Southern California most of their lives, it is a world class cruise destination.  I lived in San Diego for several years, but I always enjoy having a cruise port there.

When Monarch of the Seas arrived in San Diego as the first port in our Monarch of the Seas cruise to Baja, we caught a taxi over to Mission Bay, where we rented wave runners, which are like motorcycles in the water.

It's what many people refer to as jetskiing, although jetskis actually are a separate beast entirely.

Either is a blast, but it's easier to get the hang of wave runners.

Few things are more fun for me than riding a wave runner on a sunny day, and I'd say all of us on this trip would agree.

Amy's friend Paige found Jay's friend Leos to be a crazy driver, or was that me that was a crazy driver?

Come to think of it, that was Jay.

Probably not my wife Julie though...or was she?

I guess we all tore it up pretty good, except Grandma, who had a fun time watching the shenanigans from shore.

A great place to go for a snack after some water sports is the Barefoot Bar & Grill, which is very much like a Caribbean restaurant overlooking San Diego's Mission Bay.

In the afternoon, the kids all returned to the ship, because they never can get enough of that floating resort, while Julie and I went out for a walk to nearby Seaport Village.

I knew there was another place to rent wave runners there, about a five minute walk from the port and wanted to see its location.

If you want to save the taxi ride to Mission Bay and still jetski, this is a good choice, although I think Mission Bay is a better place to ride.

There are lots of other places to walk from the pier, including to a ferry that will whisk you over to Coronado Island, another great vacation resort area.

Of course, there's the world famous zoo, Balboa Park museums and lots more to see in San Diego.

No comments: